Should you have a complaint against an institution regulated by the Office of the Commissioner of Banking, you should first try to resolve the complaint directly with the institution by contacting an officer of the institution. If you are unable to resolve your complaint with the institution directly, you may file a complaint with our office. However, we are not able to intervene in a dispute of fact. If formal legal action has been initiated by the consumer against the financial institution or if the complaint has been the subject of a prior legal action which has been adjudicated, the Office of the Commissioner of Banking will defer to the courts.
The Commissioner of Banking does not have authority over all financial institutions operating within South Carolina. If after review of the complaint, we determine that this office does not have authority over the complaint, the complaint will be forwarded to the appropriate State or Federal authority.
By submitting a complaint, you acknowledge and understand that the South Carolina Freedom of Information Act may require the Office of the Commissioner of Banking to release a copy of your complaint as a public record. Submission of a complaint authorizes the Office of the Commissioner of Banking to send the complaint to the financial institution or use the information given in any other manner deemed necessary.
To file a complaint with our office, please provide the following information:
- Complainant(s) name, address and phone number
- Date(s) of transaction(s)
- Disputed amount(s)
- Explanation of complaint
- Name of financial institution
- Individual’s name at the institution that is subject of the complaint, if applicable
- Name of person(s) contacted at the financial institution regarding the complaint
- Date person(s) at financial institution was contacted
- Response received from the financial institution
- A statement certifying whether any legal action is pending
- A statement indicating whether the complaint has been the subject of prior legal action which has been adjudicated
- A description of what action by the financial institution would resolve the matter to your satisfaction
Submit complaints to: Office of the Commissioner of Banking
1205 Pendleton Street, Suite 305
Columbia, SC 29201
Fax: (803) 734-2013
(Note: Do not send attachments with your email. They will not be opened. If additional information is needed to review your complaint, someone from our office will contact you to request any additional information.)